Testing at Home (ProctorU)
ProctorU is a unique service that allows you to complete your exams and assessments at any time while still ensuring academic integrity for the institution. You can take exams from home, work or any private space (or library) with Internet access while utilizing almost any computer and webcam. Click here for an overview of how ProctorU works.
Please Note: Students for Summer semester can start making testing arrangements on Monday, September 4th.
If you have a documented disability, please e-mail your accommodation(s) to email@example.com. Your accommodation(s) will be documented and only visible to the ProctorU proctor.
*Last appointment time will be 9pm EST.
|91-120 min Exam
|61-90 min Exam
|31-60 min Exam
|Take it Now- exam on demand within 15, 30 or 45 min.
|Take it Soon-Reservations made within a 72-hour window.
|Exams rescheduled within a 72-hour window
Preparing for an Exam
Exams can be taken through ProctorU 24 hours a day, seven days a week during the set exam dates and times (exam times are set for EST) SPC has set. During your exam, you will be connected to a live person who will be there to guide you through the process and assist with any technical issues. If you have any questions, please call our toll-free proctor line at 855-772-8678.
Taking Your Exam
ProctorU allows you to take an exam immediately or by appointment. All appointments should be made at least three days in advance. To make an appointment, test-takers simply create an account at http://go.proctoru.com or your institution’s ProctorU web portal by logging in, clicking on the “new exam” link and selecting the exam, date, and time you desire. Test-takers will receive an email confirming your reservation at the email address you provided to ProctorU. Reservations made within 72 hours of an exam are subject to a $5 late registration fee. If you don’t have an appointment, you can take an exam on demand within 15, 30 or 45 minutes by using ProctorU’s convenient Take it Now feature. This premier feature is designed to give test-takers added convenience and costs $8.75. Late registrations and Take it Now features are subject to availability.
- Test your equipment at www.proctoru.com/helpdesk before your appointment to confirm the computer being used is compatible for proctoring. This site runs an automated check on your system, or connects you with a live person, if needed. Please see our technical requirements listed below.
- Make sure the Internet connection is fast and reliable. If you are connected through an intermittent WiFi connection, we recommend plugging in to the modem to avoid disconnections during the exam.
- Some course instructors allow scrap paper or other materials to be used during the exam. If this is the case, be prepared to show each item to the proctor for verification.
- Have your valid government issued-ID or other photo ID ready to verify identity. Having two forms of identification available is strongly recommended.
- If your webcam is attached to the computer, make sure to have a mirror or reflective surface such as a mirror, CD, cell phone or electronic tablet screen available so the proctor can inspect the computer monitor edges and keyboard.
- Please turn off all cell phones and find a comfortable, quiet spot in a well-lit room. Make sure the room’s light source, such as a window or lamp, is in front of you in order to avoid shadowing or glare. Your proctor will need a clear view of your surroundings and face in order to grant access to the exam.
- At the date and time of your appointment, return to http://go.proctoru.com and log in. A message will appear saying, “Connect to Your Proctor Now.” Click on this button and it will automatically take you to the proctoring room. Next, click the button under Step 1 that says “Click to Download.” You will be prompted to download and run a file. Instructions to run the file will be customized based on your web browser.
- ProctorU will run an applet, or temporary program, on your computer that will allow us to view your screen and what programs are running during your exam session. This program will expire once you close it. Please have all programs not related to the exam closed before logging in to ensure the best experience.
- Once connected, the proctor will walk you through the testing process and into the exam. If there are any technical issues or connectivity is lost, please call ProctorU immediately at 855-772-8678.
- Your allotted exam time begins once you are entered into the exam by your proctor.
- If your Learning Management System (LMS) allows, be sure to save each answer as you go in case connectivity is lost or if an error occurs with the testing site.
You are responsible for meeting the following technical requirements:
- A reliable computer running Windows XP (or higher) or Mac OS X 10 (or higher).
- A web cam with 640x480 video pixel resolution or higher.
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer.
- A working microphone connected to the computer. We recommend a web cam that has a built in microphone.
- A web browser with Adobe Flash Player installed. We recommend Flash Player 10.
- A reliable, high-speed Internet connection.
- The ability to allow video and screen-sharing connections to the computer used to take an exam.
- Test-takers can test their computer and webcam at www.ProctorU.com/helpdesk
Contact ProctorU at 855-772-8678, visit www.proctoru.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need any assistance with testing arrangements or have questions, please contact the Online Learning and Services office at 727-394-6006 or email email@example.com.