Zoom Getting Started
Zoom is an online communications video and audio conferencing tool for laptop, desktop, and mobile operating systems. This guide will go over the basics of the zoom platform.
Zoom Link: Your instructor may share a Zoom link in your course, via a link posted in the course, emailed, or posted to the course calendar.
Install Zoom App: When you click to join the meeting, it will attempt to launch the Zoom meeting. It may prompt you to Open the Zoom application. If you don’t have the Zoom desktop application installed, you may need to click the link in the window that says, “download and run Zoom.” If you have issues installing Zoom using that method, you can visit https://zoom.us/download and install the application from their website.
Join Meeting Test: this is an excellent step to do before your first scheduled meeting. Visit Join Meeting Test to verify that your computer, webcam, mic, internet, etc. are all working correctly with Zoom.
NOTE: Depending on how your instructor has configured your Zoom meeting, some options may not be available.
- Microphone Icon: Clicking the button will Mute and Unmute your microphone. Clicking the up arrow next to the mic icon to see additional Microphone and Speaker options. Use the Leave Computer Audio option if you no longer want to use your computer audio for the meeting. To rejoin the meeting audio, click the Join Audio button and choose to rejoin via computer audio. You can also pull up Audio Options from here if you want to test your microphone or speakers.
- Video Icon: Clicking the button will start and stop your video camera feed if you have a video camera connected to your computer, smartphone, or tablet. Click the up arrow next to the video icon to see additional video settings, virtual background, and video filter options.
- Participants: Clicking the button will open and close the participant window showing you a list of participants who have joined the meeting.
- Chat: Clicking the button will open and close the chat window where you can chat with all participants or with specific people.
- Share Screen: This button will allow you to share your screen (if the host has enabled it) with the participants in the meeting. You will have the option to share your entire desktop screen, a whiteboard, a connected mobile device, a specific window, document, or application that you have open on your desktop.
- Record: If the host has enabled this function, clicking the button will allow you to record the meeting locally to your computer or the cloud.
- Leave Meeting: Clicking the button will prompt a message asking if you want to leave the meeting. Click Leave Meeting to exit the meeting.
How do students use Zoom?
Zoom System Check
Accessing a Zoom Meeting with Authentication Enabled
For more helpful tutorials, including live training webinars, you can visit the Zoom Help Center.
June 10, 2021
Have Questions? Contact the SPC Technical Support Desk at email@example.com or call 727-341-HELP (727-341-4357) (Mon.- Sun. 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. Eastern).